Information about the 2024 Ohioana Book Festival is coming soon.
The 2023 Ohioana Book Festival happened on April 22, 2023. Information below.
Thank you for your interest in the Ohioana Book Festival. We are accepting applications for authors and their books for the 2023 Ohioana Book Festival, sponsored by the Ohioana Library Association. Please read the following page carefully before submitting your application, as some information from previous years may have changed.
Each year, we enthusiastically accept applications of original, published works. These may be submitted by authors, illustrators, publicists, or other publishing professionals, but applications must be received in order to be considered for the festival. We encourage submissions by individuals from diverse backgrounds, including race and ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation, and/or abilities.
What is the Ohioana Library Association?
Founded in 1929, the Ohioana Library Association collects, preserves, and celebrates Ohio literature and other creative endeavors. We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit literary organization serving the state of Ohio. For more information, visit www.ohioana.org/about.
What is the Ohioana Book Festival?
The festival is held each spring to celebrate Ohio writers and their books. In 2022, over 120 authors participated in panel discussions, children’s readings, and more during the festival, which was held in a virtual format due to the COVID-19 pandemic. All sales are handled by the official festival bookseller, The Book Loft of German Village. The 17th annual Ohioana Book Festival will take place April 22, 2023 at Columbus Metropolitan Library’s Main Library. For more information and to see highlights of previous festivals, visit www.ohioanabookfestival.org.
Who may apply?
The Ohioana Book Festival is open to Ohio authors who meet the following criteria:
- The author must:
- Have been born in Ohio; and/or
- Have previously lived in Ohio for at least three years; and/or
- Be an Ohio resident as of August 1, 2022
- Only authors who have a physical book (no e-books) published after January 1, 2022 will be considered for the 2023 festival. Books must be available for sale at the festival on April 22, 2023.
- Previous participants must reapply each year. In order to encourage diversity of Festival offerings, preference is given to authors who did not participate in the prior year’s Festival. It is Festival policy to not repeat a book that has already been featured in the Festival.
- Self-published titles must meet the following criteria:
- Printed copies are available for The Book Loft to sell
- A professional has edited the work
- The consideration for self-published titles that meet the above criteria will be the same as traditionally-published books.
What should I expect if I am chosen for the 2023 festival?
Authors at the 2023 festival will participate in programming throughout the day (or weekend, if the festival is held virtually), and some authors will also participate in state-wide community outreach before the festival. Authors will have ½ of an eight-foot-long table to display books (which will be sold or made available for sale by our official bookseller) and any promotional materials (bookmarks, small displays) that they wish to supply. Ohioana will have tablecloths, but we are unable to provide easels or other display materials.
Who decides which authors are invited?
An Author Selection Committee, which will be comprised of librarians and book professionals with diverse backgrounds, will consider the submissions and choose who will be invited. The bulk of invitations will go out in January 2023.
Are there costs to participate in the festival?
There is no fee to apply for or participate in the festival. Ohioana cannot pay authors for their appearance at the Ohioana Book Festival, nor any media and outreach programs related to the event. Travel, food, or lodging expenses are not covered. Ohioana usually provides coffee and light refreshments on Saturday morning before the festival begins and lunch during the festival.
If I was chosen for last year’s festival, do I need to reapply?
Yes. Previous participants must reapply each year. Please note: It is festival policy to not repeat a book that has already been featured at a previous Ohioana Book Festival. (please see “Who may apply? For further criteria.)
When are applications due, and when are authors notified if they have been selected?
Applications must be submitted by October 31, 2022. Authors will be notified no later than January 31, 2023, as they are selected.
What types of books does the festival consider?
While we review all books that are submitted, our main goal is to provide an excellent and diverse mix of literature for all visitors and participating authors featuring books from the following genres:
- Fiction (all genres)
- Nonfiction (history, biography/memoir, religion, sports, art/architecture, cookbooks/food-related titles, and essays)
- Children’s Literature
- Young Adult literature
- Graphic novels
- Titles with general or popular appeal published by academic presses
What if the 2023 festival must be held virtually?
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020, 2021, and 2022 book festivals were rescheduled to be virtual events. Leading up to the 2023 festival, Ohioana staff will monitor the health and safety conditions of central Ohio closely. In the event that the festival must be held virtually again, Ohioana will make this decision and let authors chosen for the 2023 festival know as soon as possible.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR BOOK
Complete the Author Application and submit it with the following materials. These materials become property of the Ohioana Library Association and will not be returned. Authors will be selected by a committee comprised of librarians and book professionals. Please note that submitting an application and materials does not guarantee acceptance.
- Two copies of a finished book. (We will accept advanced readers’ copies, galley copies, or proofs, provided they are in a physical format. No e-books or electronic submissions will be accepted). If the Ohioana Library has already received two copies of your book for our collection, you do not need to send additional copies.
- Our mailing address is: Ohioana Library Association 274 E. 1st. Ave. Ste. 300 Columbus, OH, 43201
- If you would like to drop off your book at the library, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The library is currently open by appointment only.
- Author biography, high-resolution author photograph and book cover (uploaded during the online application process). If an author’s biography, photograph and/or book cover are not available at the time of applying, they must be sent to email@example.com before the application closing date in order for the application to be considered complete.
- Information about your ability/willingness to travel to Columbus, Ohio for the event (required).
- A press kit (optional).
In order to complete and submit an application, all authors must read and agree to the policies outlined in the Ohioana Book Festival Anti-Harassment and Discrimination Policy.
Feel free to call 614-466-3831 or e-mail bookfestival@Ohioana.org.