2018 Ohioana Book Festival Author Application
April 14, 2018
Thank you for your interest in the Ohioana Book Festival. We are accepting applications for authors and their books for the 2018 Ohioana Book Festival sponsored by the Ohioana Library Association.
What is the Ohioana Library Association?
Founded in 1929, the Ohioana Library Association collects, preserves, and celebrates Ohio literature and other creative endeavors. We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit literary organization serving the state of Ohio. For more information, visit www.ohioana.org.
What is the Ohioana Book Festival?
The festival is held each spring to celebrate Ohio writers and their books. In 2017 nearly 120 authors participated in book signings, panel discussions, children’s and teen activities, and more during the festival. All sales are handled by the official festival bookseller. The 12th annual Ohioana Book Festival will take place April 14, 2018 tentatively from 10:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Sheraton Columbus Hotel at Capitol Square in downtown Columbus. For more information and to see highlights of previous festivals, visit www.ohioanabookfestival.org.
Who may apply?
The Ohioana Book Festival is open to Ohio authors who meet the following criteria:
• The author must have been born in Ohio or have lived in Ohio for at least five years.
• Only books published after January 1, 2017 will be considered for the 2018 festival. Books must be available for sale at the festival on April 14, 2018. Authors may only attend the festival once with each new book as their featured festival title.
• Submitted books must be published by a traditional publisher. Self-published or author-subsidized books will be considered only if the author has previously published through traditional channels.
What should I expect if I am chosen for the 2018 festival?
Authors at the 2018 festival participate in programming throughout the day, and some authors also participate in state-wide community outreach before the festival. Authors will have ½ of a six-foot-long table to display books (which will be sold or made available for sale by our official bookseller) and any promotional materials (bookmarks, small displays) that they wish to supply. Ohioana is unable to provide easels or other display materials.
Are there costs to participate in the festival?
There is no fee to apply for or participate in the festival. Ohioana cannot pay authors for their appearance at the Ohioana Book Festival, nor any media and outreach programs related to the event. Travel, food, or lodging expenses are not covered as well. Ohioana will provide coffee and light refreshments on Saturday morning before the festival begins and lunch during the festival. Authors will also be invited to an evening reception with hors d’oeuvres and drinks following the festival.
When are applications due, and when are authors notified if they have been selected?
Applications must be submitted by October 31, 2017. Authors will be notified no later than January 31, 2018 as they are selected.
What types of books does the festival consider?
• Fiction (all genres)
• Nonfiction (history, biography/memoir, religion, sports, art/architecture, cookbooks/food-related titles, and essays)
• Children’s and Young Adult literature
• Graphic novels
• Titles with general or popular appeal published by academic presses
How to submit your book
Complete the Author Application and submit it with the following materials to the address at the bottom of the form. These materials become property of the Ohioana Library Association and will not be returned. Authors are selected by a committee comprised of publishing and literature professionals. Please note that submitting an application and materials does not guarantee acceptance.
and submit it with the following materials to the address at the bottom of the form. These materials become property of the Ohioana Library Association and will not be returned. Authors are selected by a committee comprised of publishing and literature professionals. Please note that submitting an application and materials does not guarantee acceptance.
• Two copies of a finished book, advance reading copy, or proof. (One of these forms of your book is required.) If the Ohioana Library has already received two copies of your book for our collection, you do not need to send additional copies.
• Author biography and high-resolution photograph (submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org). Please include your last name and “OBF Application” in the subject line of your e-mail.
• Information about your ability/willingness to travel to Columbus, Ohio for the event (required).
• A press kit (optional).
Feel free to call 614-466-3831 or e-mail bookfestival@Ohioana.org.