The Ohioana Library is pleased to announce the finalists for the 2018 Ohioana Book Awards. First given in 1942, the awards are the second oldest state literary prizes in the nation and honor outstanding works by Ohio authors in five categories:
- Ford, Jeffrey. A Natural History of Hell: Stories, Small Beer Press.
- Lang, Ruth Emmie. Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance, St. Martin’s Press.
- Ng, Celeste. Little Fires Everywhere, Penguin Press.
- Olmstead, Robert. Savage Country, Algonquin Books.
- Umrigar, Thrity. Everybody’s Son, Harper.
- Bahney, Jennifer Bowers. Betrayer’s Waltz, McFarland.
- Batchelor, Bob. Stan Lee: The Man Behind Marvel, Rowan & Littlefield Publishers.
- Logsdon, Gene. Letter to a Young Farmer, Chelsea Green Publishing.
- Ricca, Brad. Mrs. Sherlock Holmes, St. Martin’s Press.
- Stillman, Deanne. Blood Brothers, Simon & Schuster.
About Ohio or an Ohioan
- Alexander, Brian. Glass House, Picador.
- Blunk, Jonathan. James Wright: A Life in Poetry, Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
- Chernow, Ron. Grant, Penguin Press.
- Merry, Robert W. President McKinley: Architect of the American Century, Simon & Schuster.
- Reston, James Jr. A Rift in the Earth: Art, Memory, and the Fight for a Vietnam War Memorial, Arcade Publishing.
- Awad, Ruth. Set to Music a Wildfire, University of Southern Indiana Press.
- Fagan, Kathy. Sycamore, Milkweed Editions.
- Nordgren, Sarah Rose. Darwin’s Mother, University of Pittsburgh Press.
- Pitinii Davis, Allison. Line Study of a Motel Clerk, Baobab Press.
- Smith, Maggie. Good Bones, Tupelo Press.
- Carson, Mary Kay. Photos by Tom Uhlman. Mission to Pluto: The First Visit to an Ice Dwarf and the Kuiper Belt, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Derby, Sally. Illus. by Mika Song. A New School Year: Stories in Six Voices, Charlesbridge.
- Daywalt, Drew. Illus. by Adam Rex. The Legend of Rock, Paper, Scissors, HarperCollins/Balzer and Bray
- Dougherty, Shawn. Illus. by Leah Busch. Wake, Blue Manatee Press.
- Rylant, Cynthia. lllus. by Brenden Wenzel. Life, Beach Lane Books.
Middle Grade/Young Adult Literature
- Bundy, Tamara. Walking with Miss Millie, Nancy Paulsen Books.
- McCahan, Erin. The Lake Effect, Dial Books for Young Readers.
- Rogerson, Margaret. An Enchantment of Ravens, Margaret K. McElderry Books.
- Rubini, Julie K. Virginia Hamilton: America’s Storyteller, Ohio University Press
- Springstubb, Tricia. Illus. by Eliza Wheeler. Cody and the Rules of Life, Candlewick Press.
Ohioana will profile all the finalists in the coming weeks. Beginning Monday, May 21, we will present “30 Books, 30 Days,” a special feature on our Facebook page in which one finalist is highlighted each weekday through Friday, June 29.
Winners will be announced in July, and the 2018 Ohioana Book Awards will be presented at the Ohio Statehouse in Columbus on Thursday, October 18.